Nimble Streamer is a powerful media server that offers wide support for MPEG-DASH. It supports a variety of live streaming scenarios and can process RTMP, SRT, NDI, WebRTC, RTSP, MPEG2-TS, and other input formats into MPEG-DASH for live output. Nimble Streamer also supports full ABR, which allows for multiple bitrates, and HbbTV. Using HTTP/2, Nimble Streamer can provide efficient MPEG-DASH live streaming to the latest browsers.
Live MPEG-DASH Streaming as Origin
Nimble Streamer covers variety of live streaming scenarios.
- H.264/AVC. H.265/HEVC and AV1 are supported.
Read more about codecs support
- Transmuxing RTMP to MPEG-DASH from pulled and published streams.
- HEVC and AV1 content is delivered using Enhanced RTMP spec.
Read our announcement about this spec and related functionality.
- AV1 content can be transmuxed into MPEG-DASH live stream the same way as other codecs.
- Using SRT as source via all modes.
- Processing NDI input into all supported protocols including DASH.
- WebRTC WHIP ingest can be transformed into any live output including DASH.
- Transmuxing RTSP to MPEG-DASH from pulled and announced streams.
- Transmuxing MPEG2-TS to MPEG-DASH for HTTP and UDP streams.
- Full ABR support for available multiple bitrates.
- SCTE-35 markers can be passed through to MPEG-DASH streams (requires Addenda license)
- Subtitles support
- CEA-608 subtitles are supported for live and DVR.
- WebVTT and TTML are supported for VOD.
- HbbTV is supported in MPEG-DASH.
- Generate thumbnails for output streams.
- HTTP/2 can be used for MPEG-DASH live output by modern browsers.
- CDN-friendly streaming setup is available for outgoing MPEG-DASH streams.
- If-Modified-Since header is supported for CDNs requests.
- Nimble can also be used as a live origin for peer-to-peer streaming infrastructure using MPEG-DASH.
MPEG-DASH DVR: live recording and playback
Nimble Streamer has DVR feature set which allows recording incoming live streams and provides playback via MPEG-DASH and HLS.
Streaming MPEG-DASH as Video-on-Demand
Nimble Streamer allows efficiently streaming MPEG-DASH in VOD mode.
- Supported video codecs are H.264/AVC, H.265/HEVC and recent AV1.
- Supports MP4 video+audio, video, audio, original MP4, Apple QuickTime extension.
- Supports time-based and number-based manifests.
- MP4 transmuxing to DASH in VOD mode. MP4 is effectively re-packaged with low resource usage.
- HTTP/2 can be used for MPEG-DASH VOD in modern browsers.
- Remote HTTP storage support allows effectively streaming files if their size exceeds available file system capacity.
- Adaptive bitrate is available via SMIL files support.
- Same media files can be used for both DASH and HLS VOD transmuxing.
- Subtitles: WebVTT and TTML are supported for DASH VOD streams.
MPEG-DASH smart cache re-streaming
If you have a pre-packetized content, you can set up MPEG-DASH re-streaming via your edge servers. Efficient caching will allow saving your resources and bandwidth.
Both live and VOD content can be re-streamed efficiently.
DRM for MPEG-DASH
Nimble Streamer DRM provides content protection through digital rights management, supporting Google Widevine and Microsoft Playready via BuyDRM, EZDRM, PallyCon, and custom key servers. The setup is easy and described in detail on the Nimble Streamer DRM page. Both live streaming, VOD, and DVR playback modes are fully supported with DRM.
Live streaming, VOD and DVR playback modes are fully supported.
- Google Widevine for MPEG-DASH via BuyDRM, EZDRM, PallyCon and custom key server.
- Microsoft Playready for MPEG-DASH via BuyDRM, EZDRM and PallyCon.
- Supports Widevine custom key server with key rotation.
- Supports BuyDRM KeyOS.
- Supports EZDRM key management with key rotation.
- Supports PallyCon Multi-DRM SaaS.
Easy setup is described on Nimble Streamer DRM page.