AOMedia Video 1 codec, or AV1, is a free codec that is being widely adopted by the streaming media industry. Its support is now provided by various hardware and software products.
Nimble Streamer software media server supports AV1 codec in various transport protocols and delivery options.
Live Streaming AV1
Nimble Streamer supports many different live streaming scenarios.
AV1 input protocols
Users can utilize the following delivery methods.
- RTMP from published and pulled sources
AV1 is delivered using Enhanced RTMP spec.
Read our announcement about this spec and related functionality.
- New: WebRTC WHIP ingest from Chrome browser
The MPEGTS-based protocols are not standardized yet so these are working only in connection to other Nimble Streamer instance:
AV1 output protocols
Users can deliver AV1 outside using the following methods.
- HLS with fMP4 container
- MPEG-DASH is codec-agnostic so it supports live AV1 transmuxing output.
- SLDP can deliver content with multiple codecs, including AV1.
AV1 content can be played using SLDP HTML 5 Player.
- RTMP is available for re-publishing.
- SRT via all modes but only to another Nimble Steamer instance.
- RIST via all modes
- New: WebRTC WHEP playback in Chrome browser
DVR for AV1
AV1 can be recorded and played with DVR feature set via MPEG-DASH protocol.
AV1 for Video-on-Demand
Nimble Streamer provides efficient streaming of H.265-encoded video in VOD mode via both MPEG-DASH and HLS.
- MP4 transmuxing to DASH is effectively re-packaged with low resource usage.
- Remote HTTP storage support allows to effectively stream files, those size exceeds available file system capacity.
- Adaptive bitrate is available via SMIL files support.
Nimble Paywall Capabilities for AV1
The following features and capabilities are available in Nimble Streamer for building paywalls for AV1.