Transcoder documentation reference
Links to all docs related to Live Transcoder
Besides general capabilities descriptions on this website, take a look at these pages.
- Usage snapshots show examples of combined usage of Softvelum products including live transcoder.
- Transcoder uses some code from FFmpeg like filter, and there are several advantages over FFmpeg which make Transcoder more efficient.
- Read more about performance tuning of Transcoder.
- Live Transcoder review by Jan Ozer gives general overview of the product.
- Live Transcoder troubleshooting describes how you can avoid some of the common transcoding issues.
- Legal information regarding Live Transcoder.
Software encoding and decoding
- Set up bitrate, profile and more for libx264.
- Set up constant bitrate.
- Use decoder threads.
- SVT-HEVC (libsvthevc) software encoding setup.
- VP8/VP9 encoding setup.
- VA API (libVA) setup.
- FDK audio transcoder.
- Create streams from video and audio files and also bind un-synced streams.
- Create custom FFmpeg builds to use currently unsupported encoding and filtering libraries.
Here are some useful cases for Transcoder usage
- Create wild-card scenarios for ABR.
- Setting out-of-process mode for encoders to improve robustness.
- Streams emergency hot swap to cover cases like U.S. EAS.
- Streams fail-over hot swap to show tuning table or other active channel.
- Video de-interlacing filter.
- Audio re-sampling via filter, e.g. 44KHz to 22KHz.
- Manipulate audio channels via filter, e.g. mono/stereo, language channels.
NVidia NVENC is fully supported in Live Transcoder. Read these pages for details:
- NVENC feature set in Transcoder.
- GPU decoding via NVidia GPU.
- H.264/AVC video encoder parameters.
- H.265/HEVC video encoder parameters.
- Stress-testing of Tesla M60 GPU.
- Context sharing is supported to cover such high load use cases.
NVidia hardware may require additional attention.
- List of NVENC-powered devices.
- Installing NVidia device drivers.
- When updating NVidia drivers, follow these guidelines.
- NVENC encoding on Amazon EC2 GPU review describes types of instances which can be used for efficient GPU HEVC encoding.
Intel Quick Sync is fully supported in Live Transcoder. Read these pages for details:
- Quick Sync feature set in Transcoder.
- Enable Quick Sync on Windows.
- Enable Quick Sync on CentOS.
- Enable Quick Sync on Ubuntu.
- Quick Sync H.264 encoder parameters allow controlling AVC encoding process.
- Quick Sync H.265 encoder parameters gives capabilities to control HEVC encoding.
Metadata pass-through and forwarding
Nimble Streamer allows forwarding certain metadata through Live Transcoder.
- CEA-708 subtitles forwarding.
- DVB subtitles forwarding.
- SCTE-35 markers passthrough.
- Icecast metadata passthrough.
- RTMP Icecast metadata passthrough.
Our YouTube channel has a number of videos showing how Transcoder can be used in various use cases. Watch this playlist: