SLDP is a streaming protocol based on WebSockets so its streams can be processed in any modern browser.
Browser playback is based on MSE. It's currently supported by Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Microsoft Edge and Chromium on Windows, Linux, MacOS and Android platforms. So SLDP playback can easily be performed on any web page with low overhead.
Key features include
- Sub-second delay in playback with buffer offset if needed.
- H.264, VP8 and VP9 video with AAC audio is supported, with HEVC coming soon.
- ABR support with automatic renditions switch according to network conditions. Switch time is limited only by GOP size.
- Delivery methods are HTTP and HTTPS on top of TCP which means you don't need any special network settings.
To start using SLDP player, you can download it here for further usage on your website (see release notes).
Having the player on your server, you may embed it as shown on the following example below.
The following parameters can be used.
- container parameter indicates the page element to use for display
- stream_url defines the URL to connect in order to start receiving the content. The origin needs to have SLDP support to provide the stream. Check Nimble Streamer as example.
- autoplay defines whether the stream needs to be played right after the player is initialized.
- height defines the height of the player.
- initial_resolution is the default resolution in case you use ABR stream.
- buffering is playback delay in milliseconds.
- latency_tolerance latency retention parameter expressed in milliseconds. When initial latency has increased by more than the specified value (due to whatever reason, like network conditions or CPU performance), it forces the player to reestablish the initial latency as it becomes possible. It's important to understand, that latency retention has its cost, the player skips a part of stream to preserve latency. The rough analogy can be TV broadcast, when corrupted image is displayed but the whole stream is not delayed.
You can use SLDP player free of charge with no limitations. Technical support is provided for customers with premium support subscription only. You can contact us if you'd like to proceed with that.
Please also take a look at frequently asked questions to see advantages and best techniques of SLDP usage.
Back to players page